Monday 4 April 2011

Peter Finch to leave Academi

Peter Finch today announced that he will be leaving Academi literature agency exactly one month hence. He stated,

“On 5th June, 2011 I will stand down as Chief Executive. I intend to continue my work as a creative writer. My role at the head of the newly established Literature Wales will be filled by my deputy, Lleucu Siencyn, while the Board seeks to make a new appointment by the end of the year. As Acting Chief Executive, Lleucu will oversee the completion of the work I have already begun with the merging of Yr Academi Gymreig and [writers’ residential centre] Ty Newydd to form a new dynamic force for readers, writers and writing in Wales.”

We wish Peter all the best of luck in his new role. We also thank him for all his hard work, leadership and passion at Academi, which has done so much to support and lobby writers’ causes. I have mainly been involved with those of Academi’s schemes which aim to compensate for the lack of resources available to publishers: mentoring and bursaries. These, the Book of the Year award, together with the intensive residential courses and retreats available at Ty Newydd, as well as the latter’s new role as Translators House, are all essential services to authors which I hope will remain at the heart of Literature Wales’ remit.

We are very pleased that Peter will contribute to the magazine a new biennial column on Wales’ book scene, starting in the autumn issue, published on 1 September.

No comments: